Saturday, March 10

Thank you BonAppetit...:)


Who does not like pizza? Only problem when you go toeat it, you come home feeling like you ate a bucket of dough and then want to head to the couch and fall into a "pizza coma".  Not to mention, in order to get a "good pizza" you need to go a tad pricey, but then when you order it and see what is on it for the price, you think hmmmm, really?  Well I do anyway.  Let me back up, first of all I don't order out pizza, for the kids yes.  Second, I shop and have the house stocked with cheese and tons of healthy food and great assortment of veggies.  So why on earth do I want to pay for what I can make at home, and while at home I control what goes into the pizza.  I can control the cal count, the sodium, the oil, etc. and for a lot less. 

We already ventured with the Cauliflower Pizza Crust, which was a huge hit and will be a repeat in our kitchen again.  So thanks to Bon Appetit and their wonderful recipes, we stumbled upon the No-Knead Pizza Dough.  What? This is too good to be true.  Going through the recipe and list of ingredients all I could think was "how fun is this going to be"?  The kids and hubby will love this.  I did however modify the dough.  Instead of "all purpose flour", I opted for whole wheat and Semolina flour, just did half of each.  I also went less on the salt.

The only item I needed was the active dry yeast.  Which I thought do I really need that, it is only 1/2 tsp. how much of a difference can it make?  After calling hubby at work and asking that (apparently hysterical question) I had gotten my answer.  Into the car I go, we need the yeast.
So excited to create homemade pizza that night for dinner, and halfway through the process of making the dough, it dawned on me that I had not read fully through the recipe.  This is something that you need to make hours before dinner, or day before, because the dough needs to sit and rise and sit again.  Professional pizza maker I am not, nor do I always read through the entire recipe, because I get so excited to be trying something new.

Not only am I now telling the kids "pizza tomorrow night", I now have to come up with dinner for tonight.  Kitchen covered with veggies everywhere, flour and yeast, measuring equipment (that is what I call it) and a gazillion bowls all over the sink, I start to panic.  Therefore, reaching for the yeast yet again and just adding more ( I need to get this stuff to rise in a hurry).  By now my hubby has walked in the door (yet again to another night of "what in the world is my wife creating now") evening.  Only to come into the kitchen and blurt out the words "that does not look like pizza dough". 

Now, I know my hubby seems to have many comments about my meals and ideas, but to his defense his background is food and he is first a chef although now in management and suit and tie.  So he does now what he is talking about.



Next thing I know his sleeves are rolled up and he has kindly excused me from the area in order to take care of what I seem to have tried to create on my own.  I did not even want to tell him about the extra yeast I threw in after the fact.  However, I did envision my own version of that so popular Lucy episode when she and Ethel were trying to bake their own bread.  Oh Lord.

Anyway, hubby to the rescue, recipe followed through exactly, and the next night the  final product was fabulous!  I even called over one of the neighbors to try these out.  We were able to make about 6 different pizzas.  Thick crust, thin crust, cheese for the kids and ones with veggies all over them. They weren't the prettiest pizzas, but they tasted great, (I would stick with making the thinner crust) and it made for a fun night and great experiment.

A must try for sure!









http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2012/03/no-knead-pizza-dough