Friday, March 30

Why Buy It When You Can Make It?

I love, love, love quiche. However, I am not a fan of the omelet or the frittata. Go figure.  I hate to bake, yet I will bake a quiche. Hmmm, the entire things just seems weird right?  Well I have had this on my mind for days and finally got to it this morning.  The house is quiet, the skies are dull and it is a tad chilly outside, so I will bake a quiche. 

I do not make my own crust...EVER, this would require me to go into baking mode and measure...no no.  Store bought pie crust will do just fine.  Now time to go through the fridge, you see not every quiche I make is the same.  They are kind of like snowflakes, I never know what I will pull out of the oven.  If you are doing proper shopping, you should pretty much be able to create your own at any given time (hence the pie crust) those you need to think about.  Today's recipe consisted of the following lucky ingredients that happen to be in the veggie draw of the fridge.

Yellow onion
Mushrooms
Yellow bell pepper
Red bell pepper
Yellow squash
Green onion
Frozen broccoli heads (I have fresh in the fridge) but just used the others today
Sharp cheddar cheese
5 eggs
Sea salt
Flax seed

So crack eggs in bowl and add a little bit of water, whisk and set aside.  In a saute pan add all the veggies, (minus the frozen broccoli) to some EVOO.  Saute them and sprinkle with sea salt (I use that all the time instead of table salt) the course texture gives me more control when using my fingers to sprinkle.  While veggies are "doing there thing", defrost the frozen broccoli in water in the microwave for about 2 -3 mins. don't cook them, just get the freeze off and soften.  Add these to the veggies and finish the saute.  Here is the extra ingredient that I add that no one will ever taste or know about, the flax seed.  Just one spoon full on top of the veggies and stir in.  (Remember to grind the flax seed first).


Everyone has a different take on quiche.  My hubby loves the top covered with loads of cheese and thinks the egg goes after the veggies.  I don't agree.  I pour the egg mixture first into two separate pie shells evenly (5 eggs works, or you can do more)  I don't like the number 6 and 7 seems to many.  Then I add the veggies, again evenly to both.  Lastly, top with finely grated cheese (of course this is up to each individual as to how much).  Put both into pre-heated oven at 350 degrees and cook for about 30 mins. while checking not to burn.

Depending on whether or not you add the egg first or last will change the cooking time, so just keep an eye on them.  Remove from the oven and let cool (or eat hot) and you have yourself a great breakfast, lunch or dinner.  Even better leftovers.

Enjoy :)

No comments: