Tuesday, July 31

Summer Soup....

Okay so I know, it is about 90 degrees out and I have soup on the brain.  Maybe because I know that we are heading back to school in about two weeks so I normally think that means Fall is near by.  Only we head back to school in the middle of August, not even close to Fall yet.  But when I have my mind set on something that I am craving, well so be it.

Now I am not an official homemade soup making pro.  That would be my hubby, the ex chef (now working corporate management), he is the master of making the yummiest soups and makes them look so easy.  Those will be on the "must do" list for the Fall and yes, will be sharing. I am the "what do I have in the house", quick fix soup gal.  Well I happen to have some leftover chicken breasts with bone in from the other night (see my post on facebook.com/fitnessmomwinecountry for kid's lunch), so I shredded all I could off of those and used some for lunch and placed the rest in a bowl. 

I guess now is a good time to share the ingredients for the soup.

Yellow Onion 1
Zuch 1
Yellow Squash 1
Brown Rice 1 cup
Pinto Beans 1 cup
Chicken Breast (shredded)
Low Sodium Chicken Broth (1 box)
Granulated Garlic
Carrot 1
Celery about 4 stalks (depending on what you like)
Fresh Spinach Leaves (depending on how much you want)
Sea Salt to taste OR not




Bring a pot of water and 1 box of Low Sodium chicken broth to a boil then add your chicken. This process takes about an hour or so depending on how much flavor you want and how much you want removed from the bone.  Remember, I don't measure anything (those who follow along and know by now) so the ingredients are your call for your needs.  Cut all the veggies and spinach and place in a steamer to steam, while cooking the brown rice.  Most steamers have double use and you can do at one time.  Watch the veggies so not too cook them too soft.  Take them out and place in a bowl.  Let the rice finish cooking.  Rinse beans and set aside. 


Once the stock has been boiled for about an hour.  Strain through your colander and place back on the stove, then pull apart and go through the chicken remaining so to separate from all the carcass and bones.  Add the shredded chicken and the veggies and beans to the stock and bring back to a boil.  By this time your rice should be done.  I made enough extra so I can have the brown rice for the week as I need.  Spoon in the amount of rice you want into the stock blend all together.


You have a great summer lunch or dinner even though it is still hot out.  The veggies make you feel like you are eating light.  Garnish with fresh basil on top and whatever else you like on your soup.  I love fresh ground pepper and just a bit of grated parm cheese.  With this soup, you don't really need a salad on the side, because of all the veggies and protein in this.  It is a full meal, and leave the bread out, we don't need to be eating that.



This is such an easy soup and obviously most anything will work in it.  Just open the fridge and pantry and take a look around. :)







No comments: