Tuesday, February 14

The Cauliflower Crusted Pizza (kudos to whomever came up with this)

Okay, so I have seen this great recipe going around and then a friend actually sent it to me with a pic and said she thought of me and thought I would love it for Fitnessmom.  I am ALWAYS up to a new great recipe (as long as I don't have to bake) so I dove in....Now the first thing about cooking as I am sure all of you know, is to follow the recipe (that is why it is there) I tend to have a bad habit of wandering off the recipe a tad, and measuring cups? Forget about it...just another dish to wash.
Crust before going into the oven
Mized everything together
So right from the start, I steam not microwave my Cauliflower like it says to do.  I don't have a "ricer" but I will grate it. I did not have Mozzarella cheese on hand so I used cheddar.  The rest I followed...so to get to the heart of the pizza, I took broccoli, zuchs, yellow squash, red bell, onion, garlic and put in food processor..Pulse so not to turn runny...then I heated all up together on the stove with the added tomato sauce, chopped mushrooms, I had a bowl of black beans in the fridge so I added those,  sprinkle of garlic salt (not too much) the cheese has enough sodium already. I figured instead of topping the pizza with veggies like normal, I would just blend all together and add warm to the top of the cooked crust (I actually cooked my crust for 25 min) then I added more cheese on top of the entire pizza (my hubby likes the cheese on the bottom) well guess what, he was not home yet and he did not make it...

1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  1 egg, beaten
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp crushed garlic
1/2 tsp garlic salt
olive oil (optional)
pizza sauce, shredded cheese and your choice of toppings*

 Directions:
To "Rice" the Cauliflower:

Take 1 large head of fresh cauliflower, remove stems and leaves, and chop the florets into chunks. Add to food processor and pulse until it looks like grain. Do not over-do pulse or you will puree it. (If you don't have a food processor, you can grate the whole head with a cheese grater). Place the riced cauliflower into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 8 minutes. There is no need to add water, as the natural moisture in the cauliflower is enough to cook itself.

One large head should produce approximately 3 cups of riced cauliflower. The remainder can be used to make additional pizza crusts immediately, or can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.

To Make the Pizza Crust:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Add oregano, crushed garlic and garlic salt, stir. Transfer to the cookie sheet, and using your hands, pat out into a 9" round. Optional: Brush olive oil over top of mixture to help with browning.

 Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove from oven. To the crust, add sauce, toppings and cheese. Place under a broiler at high heat just until cheese is melted (approximately 3-4 minutes).  It turned out amazing, this is one recipe we will cook again in this house.  The hubby even had seconds, and I warmed it for lunch today, it was even better.
Okay, not the prettiest, but oh so good


 Taken from Eat Drink Smile....

No comments: