Sunday, February 19

Veggie Tacos....Great Idea...

Okay so I found the coolest recipe today for Tacos....using Cauliflower and Mushrooms as the "meat" of the meal. This is great, I hate tacos, I hate cooking tacos, eating the taco...my family would eat them every night if they could. Normally we use ground Turkey when we make them, however when I saw this recipe I was in Taco heaven! So I have taken the original and posted it here, the photos are mine from tonight. Everything was in the house already (again, always shop "clean" and you will eat clean).

Cauliflower and Mushroom mix

Mix with added chicken and sauce/season

Done
As always, I did modify the recipe, in this case I cooked two chicken breast sliced thin in  light olive oil, then cooled the chicken. Once cooled, I shredded it. I also added black beans to the recipe. Just from the can and washed. Everything else was as is and dinner was Awesome! We like our taco shells steamed (use white corn all the time) the kid however, wanted me to make "crispy tacos", so I cooked their shells in light canola oil.  Kids ate two each, so that is "success".  Noah did pick out large piece of Cauliflower, but we got through it. Here is the recipe I found, try it.  I will never add meat to the tacos again :)

  • 2 tsp olive oil

  • 1 small onion, diced small (1 1/2 cups)

  • 2 large cloves garlic, minced

  • 1 lb cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed, roughly chopped into small pieces

  • 1 cup cauliflower florets, roughly chopped into small pieces

  • 3 tbsp tomato paste

  • 2 tsp chile powder

  • 1 tsp ground cumin

  • 1/2 tsp sea salt

  • 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper

  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels

  • 12 small corn tortillas

  • 5 large Romaine lettuce leaves, sliced into 1/4-inch strips

  • 1/2 avocado, pitted, peeled and cubed

  • 1/2 cup grated low-fat cheddar cheese

  • 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream

  • INSTRUCTIONS:

    1. In a large, high-sided skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, until begins to soften. Stir in garlic and sauté for 30 more seconds.
    2. Add mushrooms and cauliflower and stir constantly for 2 minutes, until vegetables start to release water and shrink. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally until mushrooms are about half their original size and cauliflower is fork tender, about 15 minutes.
    3. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together tomato paste, 1/4 cup water, chile powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Add to mushroom mixture along with corn. Stir to combine, then cover. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
    4. Warm tortillas over the flame of a gas stove or in a warm oven. To assemble tacos, fill each tortilla with 1/4 cup mushroom filling. Top with lettuce, avocado, cheese and sour cream, divided evenly.