Saturday, February 18

Splurge

Okay so the hubby and I  headed out Friday for our "Field Trip", off towards Marin,CA.  Our fav shopping destination Corte Madera.  However, we had a time limit, due to the fact that the kids were to be picked up by mid afternoon from school.  So this is how it went...the shopping area is so large it is on both sides of the 101.  We knew we could not possibly spend the entire day shopping and get back in time, so we opted to stay on one side of the freeway....the side with the PF Changs.  We have to have lunch after all.  This is where it gets important, so pay attention. 

Now I am all about eating healthy, watching what we eat, how much, counting cals, paying attention to sugar content in this and that, sodium, carbs...etc.  However, a few things came to mind when I walked through the door.  My head was completely in "work mode".  Hmmm, how can I do this and go back to Fitnessmom and preach about eating?  I can't, I have to be totally honest and since I am going to do this, heck I might as well splurge a little and call it "research".  Yes, research, l love it perfect, I can sit and order and eat all while doing this for the good of the Fitnessmom fans.

Let me start by saying I did my best to try to stay somewhat smart.  The menu at PF Changs did  not have any nutrition info printed by the food choices, there is nothing noted about how much sodium or anything else for that matter.  It did say however, "highest and freshest quality ingredients".  So I just took a deep breath and ordered away.

SPRING ROLLS
Crispy spring rolls filled with fresh vegetables and served with a sweet & sour dipping sauce
 CHANG'S CHICKEN LETTUCE WRAPS
Our signature appetizer. Wok-seared minced chicken, mushrooms, green onions, and water chestnuts served over crispy rice sticks and served with cool, crisp lettuce cups
SEARED AHI TUNA *
Sushi grade ahi tuna, served chilled with spicy mustard vinaigrette and fresh mixed greens
GINGER CHICKEN WITH BROCCOLI
Chicken breast stir-fried with green onions and ginger and centered in a ring of fresh broccoli
LO MEIN
Stir-fried noodles and vegetables with a choice of beef, pork, chicken, shrimp or vegetable


  Okay, so I am being totally honest, totally real, I DO NOT suggest eating like this every week.  We start to order and I could see the look of "really"? on my hubby's face when I asked the waiter if they used "real chicken".  When it came to the "extra dipping sauces" or soy, we totally stayed away from those.  The food did taste fresh and portion control was all about this lunch.  Sure we wanted to dive in, chopsticks in hand, fighting to push each other out of the way (I was starving) however, we totally held it together served up small portions on our plates and wrapped the rest to go (great after school snack for the kiddies). 

I have to give a shout out to the Seared Ahi Tuna...I took one bite of that with the mixed green and cucumber and I was as giddy as a gal with a new pair of Coach boots!  Oh wait, I got those didn't I?  The tuna melted like butter, I was in heaven, it was amazing.

So back to the research, I woke today and was feeling fine.  Just a chill Saturday morning with family.  In fact movie in bed along with the dog was our morning hang-out time.  By mid afternoon it had hit me, done, toast, over, sluggish.  Yep my body is not used to eating like that (it has been a long time) so I knew when I was ready to pack it in for a power nap (that turned into a power coma) I woke feeling too groogy and even worse. 

What we put in our bodies is SO important, it does matter.  Sure I had chicken, broccoli and Ahi, however who knows what is was cooked with.  All the oils, sodium, etc..
My body took all day to re coupe from my splurge and I am aware of that.  I can only imagine how others feel who eat like that all the time or eat WORSE.  We need to learn to eat as clean as possible.  I am not saying don't enjoy meals out, but even in my case where I am aware and conscience of my food, I still went a tad extreme.  So tomorrow is all about protein, clean and tons of veggies.  I don't like feeling like a sloth and blah.  Food is our friend, we just need to know how to incorporate it into our lives daily and wisely.....:)

No comments: